Monday, August 25, 2008

F1 DRIVER

F1 driver Massa revives title bid with European GP win



Felipe Massa revived his world title challenge Sunday when he won the European Grand Prix and erased bad memories of his explosive exit from the last leg of the F1 championship in Hungary three weeks earlier.


The 27-year-old Brazilian had been forced out of the race in Budapest while leading with three laps to go when his Ferrari's engine blew up.
But this time, despite a strong challenge from second-placed Briton Lewis Hamilton in his McLaren-Mercedes, he was able to complete the 57 laps distance and take the chequered flag for the fourth time this season..
"I am so glad, so happy, after such a bad result in Hungary and the way it ended there," said Massa.



"Everyone did a fantastic job for me and it is a great result for the team.

"To take pole, to win the race and to clock the fastest lap, you cannot ask for more than that after such a bad experience in Budapest."



Hamilton, 23, said he felt ill through the weekend and was glad to win eight points for second place and stay in the lead in the title race after a tough race.

He now has 70 points, to Massa's 64, at the top of the championship with six of this year's 18 races remaining.



But Massa was dragged into a retrospective controversy when he was asked about his second pit stop which saw him rejoin the fray following an 'unsafe release' from the pits.

"I don't know anything about it," he said. "As far as I am concerned I did nothing wrong. It is more about Adrian Sutil than me."



In the incident, Sutil was released before Massa who came out alongside him in the pit lane and had to ease off when they approached a wall.

Race stewards held an inquiry into the incident which could have seen Massa have his victory taken away from him but in the end the Ferrari man escaped with a caution and a 10,000 euros.

In a second incident, a Ferrari mechanic was injured during Finn Kimi Raikkonen's bungled second pit stop. This also was announced as being under investigation.



Hamilton said he was glad to collect his eight points and remain on top in the title race.

"We have great reliability and a great package and no worries about any of that," he said, adding that he felt pain from his neck throughout the race.



"I woke up early on Saturday morning and had a spasm in my neck," Hamilton explained.

"At one point, I did not think I would recover and be able to race, but I had injections and I made it.

"I felt it during the race and it was tough for me, but I don't think I lost any time. The team had Pedro (De la Rosa, the reserve driver) waiting to race and of course he wanted to because he is Spanish.



"I felt bad from the start of the weekend, with low energy, fevers every day and the spasms in my neck. Luckily I have a great doctor and trainer and we got through it."



Poland's Robert Kubica who finished third said he had suffered problems as well when a white plastic bag flew across the track and under his car, causing him to lose his steering controls briefly.

"It came back after a little while, but I lost confidence and it affected me," he said.

"We got this third because of our great qualifying performance on Saturday."



The win was the ninth of his career and was achieved in exemplary fashion as he drove from pole position to the chequered flag without a worry apart from a problem at his second pit-stop.

In another incident, his Ferrari team-mate defending champion Finn Kimi Raikkonen was involved in a disastrous pit stop that left a mechanic injured two laps before his engine blew and forced him to retire.



Hamilton's McLaren team-mate Heikki Kovalainen of Finland came home fourth ahead of Italian veteran Jarno Trulli in a Toyota and 21-year-old German Sebastian Vettel who was sixth for Toro Rosso.



Timo Glock of Germany was seventh for Toyota and another German Nico Rosberg eighth for Williams.

SOURCE: http://www.nst.com.my

No comments:

Post a Comment